Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Running With Brittni

Last Saturday...

5:00 a.m. Hear alarm go off, press snooze

5:30 a.m. Hear alarm go off again, drag myself out of bed

6:00 a.m. Start the 17 mile run on my usual trail, oddly see no one

6:45 a.m. Get a little tired and think about maybe not doing the whole run

7:00 a.m. Start to get really tired, think a lot more about quitting, decide not to

7:30 a.m. Get a text from my lovely friend Felicia that says, 'When the running gets hard...remember who its for...that makes it easier...;) you can do it!!

7:31 a.m. Start to think about what Brittney would have done in my situation, decide she would say hello to everyone who ran or biked passed her and do the same.

7:45-8:50 a.m. Hear words of encouragement from complete strangers that help me get through one of the most painful runs yet.

I had a really cool experience this last week on my long run.  I started saying hello to everyone.  Now this is nothing new for me.  I am often found striking up a conversation with the cashier, the person in the check out line behind me, teachers I don't know in the teachers lounge...I don't have a problem talking.  But at the gym, or on a run, I am usually in the zone.  I have an angry face and I just do my thing.  So as I was struggling to put my milage in this weekend, I was reminded why I am running this marathon.  Its not for me.  I have toyed with the idea for several years, but it was the events of last summer that made me decide to do it, officially.  So I started to run as if I were Brittney.  I thought about how happy she would have been just being out on a beautiful morning, and so I said good morning to everyone I saw.  As the run got harder, these perfect strangers started to encourage me.  They would say things like, 'You're almost there!' and 'You're doing really good!'  They would smile and say, 'You're still going??' and with each kind word they said to me, I could almost feel Britt running along side me.

I have never felt such physical exhaustion as I do when I am running lately.  I have never been so nervous and even a little scared to do something as I am to do this race, but I was reminded yesterday of a scripture in John that fits my situation so perfectly.

John 16:33:  These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation but be of good cheer;
I have overcome the world.

I'm still pretty nervous about the race.  26.2 miles is a long way and I haven't even gotten to where I need to be yet, but I know that I can do it.  I have the support of so many, family especially and friends from all over who encourage and bless my life.  Most importantly I have a Savior who loves me and inspires me to be my best self.  Without that I would never be able to accomplish all that I have done and will do.

Plus, I'll be running with Brittney, and that's all the help I need.

1 comment:

  1. You brought tears to my eyes, THANKS! Brittni would be proud!! Last year, as I struggled through the Lost Lake race, she was in my thoughts and helping me push myself, too. In so many ways she still inspires. And you do, TOO! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete