Wednesday, July 1, 2009

For the first time in such a long time I know I'll be okay

It has been a while. I am not sure if that means I am so busy I don't have time to write or if I just don't have anything to write about, but it has been a long time none the less and their are some cool things that I have wanted to write about.

First and foremost is my half marathon. I set the goal in January to run this half marathon in June. I have been running and getting pumped about it, but I am not going to lie, when I clicked the submit button on my entry fee, I gulped and wondered what the heck I had just done. I was really nervous about it. That week I didn't have a ton of time to run. I went on an 8 mile run the tuesday before, but then I was afraid to run too hard and kill myself before the big race so I did some long speed walks, but nothing. My dad decided he was going to run with me which looking back must have been Heavenly Father looking out for me because I really couldn't have done it with out my dad.

We started out the race a little slow cuz we were in the middle of the pack. I was hyper and nervous so I was bouncing around as we put in the first couple of miles. Dad kept telling me to stop using my energy and so I did. We were hitting 10 minute miles every mile for the second through about 8th mile and I was feeling really good, but then we hit this huge hill. It wasn't just a big hill, it was almost a mile and a half long and getting to the hill I really didn't think I could do it. I was tired, I knew we still had 5 miles to go, and I had never run father than 8 miles before. As we started going up the hill I could feel myself start to slow down, but my dad simply looked back at me and said, 'Take my hand.' I grabbed his hand and he kept me on pace as I got up the hill. We got to the top and I felt so good that I hadn't stopped, but then I remembered at still had 5 miles left. Right at the top were two of my dear friends Molly and Benji. Then had been waiting there at the top for me and all I hear when I got up to the top was 'Jody Jody Jo! So hot! Keep goin girl!' It was so great to hear that, so I found a little bit of energy.

From the hill I knew the trail back to the finish line which helped me a lot to not get too discouraged, but there came a second time where I felt like I just couldn't do it, but this time, my dad was a little ahead of me, and so I called out to him, and he reached back and grabbed my hand and helped me up the hill. The last part of the race was a steep up hill and then a long straight of way to the finish line. As we approached the hill, my dad started talking me through what we were going to do and he said that he would take my hand and that we would cross the finish line together. He then proceeded to help me push through the hurt and get to the finish line.

Now this might sound silly, but I feel like this experience has taught me a lot about how our father in heaven works with us sometimes. Sometimes, without us even asking, he will grab our hand and pull us through the hard times. Then there are other times when we know that he is there and we need to tell him that we need his help, and that is when he will reach back and pull us along the rough patches. And then of course at the very end, after all we can do, he will make sure we cross the finish line.

Next half is next month :)

4 comments:

  1. entre
    crei que eras de chile y escribias en castellano
    pero me equivoque
    lo siento
    mil perdones
    ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story!!! Congrats! You will be a pro runner by the time you get back to utah. come back to me soon. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing that, it was very sweet and meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you!!! I've been trying to get back into running. Probably not this summer but maybe this fall or next year we can run together! I love you! Good luck on your next run!

    ReplyDelete