Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I Hope They Call Me On A Mission...


Alright so I've already BEEN on a mission, but every time someone starts talking about missions and missionary work, that song runs through my head.  My little brother got his mission call last Thursday.  It was funny because I had a class in the dungeon (a.k.a. the basement of the JFSB) and so I had this message when I got out and all it said was "It is here!".  Since my phone hadn't rang, I didn't know who it was and the message was so short I had no idea who it was from.  Then my little sister called and left a message about coming to her house at a certain time to skype with the family up in Alaska to watch Jaden open his call. It all came together after that. (I'm a little slow, I know.)


This is my little brother with call in hand. He is a cutie.

So the rest of the day seemed to DRAG on as I waited for 9:30 Utah time to come.  I found myself nervous munching on any food in my perifiral vision so at about 9 I went to my sister and her husband's house to just plain get out of the house and away from food.  We got all connected at around 9:45 and watched my little bro open his call.  He choked up a little as he read it and I did too.  Jaden was called to serve in the Indiana, Indianapolis mission.  He reports March 3rd.  I am SO proud of him.  He is already such a spiritual giant, I can't wait to watch him just grow in leaps and bounds out in the mission field.


This is me and my little bro at the Church dance we dj'd this summer. We are this cool

Jaden getting his call has caused me to think so much about my mission.  I can't believe it has been almost 3 years since I got home.  I found my journal that I kept before my mission last weekend and read it all the way through. (I most definately didn't write every day so it wasn't THAT much to read and it was actually quite addicting) I was shocked at how much I have changed since then.  If nothing else, my mission taught me to be a much happier person than I was before.  I have so much more faith in Heavenly Father and I can look at obstacles and not run away.  I am a much stronger member of the church!  It was great to reflect and see that the Lord really molds us by our experiences to be who we need to be.

This is one of my favorite pictures from the mission. Ignore the fact that I am 40lbs heavier in this picture than I am now.


On a slightly related note I had a pretty cool experience this week with my calling.  I am never really good at 'knowing' who to call to what position.  It is tough for me to know if I am logically choosing them based on ability or if I am really seeking the help of the Holy Ghost to know whom Heavenly Father would like to serve in each position.  I felt the need to call two sisters in my ward to positions within the Relief Society.  Both of them approached me later and said something along the lines of, 'I know you were inspired, I am so excited to serve in this calling.'  Just goes to show, we aren't doing as bad as sometimes we may feel.  Love the gospel.

In general, I am just really happy right now.  I have no boys to base that happiness on right now, but I think that might be my favorite part about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment