Tuesday, October 12, 2010

That's my plan and I'm stickin to it.

Yesterday, I got to see Elder Costa speak in person.  He.was.awesome.

I have never seen someone glide so effortlessly between making me laugh histerically and bringing the spirit around like a powerhouse.  It was perfect for me.  He talked about quite a few things, but one thing in particular just hit me right to the core.

Elder Costa shared several stories about how he had delt with change and opposition in his life.  He talked first about being called to be the YSA Regional Stake Representative two weeks after becoming a member and accepting the calling without even knowing what a stake was. (His exact story was that after he accepted the call he mentioned he had two questions, one was 'What's a stake?' and the other was 'What's YSA?' HA!)  He talked about being two weeks away from marriage when he lost his job, but told us that he went ahead and got married anyways because he knew the Lord would provide.  Elder Costa shared stories from his years as a mission president, how he got called to be in the Second Quorum of the 70, the plans he and his wife made for after his release from that calling and other's reactions to his plan making.  At one point he told one of the other General Authorities that his plan was to retire and spend the rest of his life with his wife living on the beach.  This GA asked him, 'Well what if you get called to something else?' to which Elder Costa replied, 'I make my plans, the Lord have my number.  He want to change my plans, He call me!'  The man was just adorable.

I know that at least that particular part of his talk was directed at me.

Planning is not my forte.  In fact I would say that over the last couple of years I have mastered the art of drifting.  It is easier to be a victim of circumstance than it is to accept responsibility for poor planning, and I have done that a lot over the last few years.  Especially in the last few months when I have had to really think about where I want to be in the next couple of years.  I actually have to PLAN what I want for my life.  It is no longer acceptable to say, 'Well it depends on...'  NO! If the Lord has something in store for me, He will guide me to it.  I need to make decisions and weigh the options and show Him that I trust Him enough to let Him guide me to places and people and experiences that I need to grow.

So I am starting to formulate a plan.  Trust me it is not easier with my new found understanding.  In fact I would say it is down right SCARY to make plans for a life, just hoping that Heavenly Father will guide me to the things I want...but if there is one thing I know, it is that He has a plan.  I just have to be faithful and things will work out in the way they are supposed to.

Besides, the Lord has my number.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. Nate and I are planners. But lately, several times, we have been thrown off course in big ways. I've found myself thinking I'm grateful that the Lord has guided us where he wants us but at the same time, I feel like maybe we should plan less, be guided more, and it wouldn't hit so hard when he took us elsewhere. So thanks for your outlook on it... now I need to go think, process, and plan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your thoughts. And I really like that the Lord has our number. So true. I can't wait to find out what is next in store for you. Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has a lot of truth. It IS scary to plan for the future, especially how fast the future gets here.

    My personal favorite is the 'The Lord has my number' line ^_^

    ReplyDelete