Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A scripture a day

In a ward conference a few years ago we met together as a Relief Society for the first meeting. (In those days, our ward went backwards, starting with priesthood and R.S. and then Sunday School, and THEN sacrament meeting) I was having a rough time, I had been home from my mission just a little over a year and was struggling to find my way in 'life after the mission'.  In this tough time, our Stake Relief Society Presidency counseled us to have a 'scripture of the day'.  We were told to put it on a note card and carry it with us throughout the day.  On one side was the scripture and on the other side was our application for the day.  In a tough time in my life, this helped me to remember what I was wanting to accomplish that day.  The first scripture I chose was the famous Joshua scripture, 'Be thou strong and of good courage...'

Why do you care to know about this?  Well you probably don't, but I was going through my journal and I got into the habit at that time to tape the scripture of the day card into my journal so that I could remember what was going on each day.  I think it is a good habit that I want to get back into.  I had a few interesting experiences this weekend that reminded me of how easy it is to fall back into old habits if we are not constantly trying to be better.

2 comments:

  1. I remember you telling me about this practice when I met you. I decided to implement said practice in my own life. My Then (now former) boyfriend decided we should make it a "couple's" activity. I think we moved too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, and I love the idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete