Saturday, January 24, 2009

EXPLORING!!

This is my good friend Pedro de Valdivia. He is responsible for the founding of Chile, and for that I am ready to go into battle with him. :)

Today was so awesome! I started off the day with a nice jog through the park by our house. This is the second time I have gone running there, but it has been closed for this big jazz concert that they have been holding every night. (Which we heard from our apartment every night because it was so loud, keeping us awake and not allowing us to sleep as well as we would have wanted, but oh well :) Well as I went running through this park, their were all these really cool statues and art sculptures. It was so awesome! I am trying to be diligent in my physical activities. Sarah and I are playing the biggest loser here and whoever wins...well our prize is lame, they just win bragging rights, but we want to be really healthy so we are trying really hard. I am really grateful we live where we live. It is one of the safest parts of Santiago and I can go running and not be too scared about something happening. Plus this park has dirt paths so I don't have to run on asphalt which is really nice.

After my little run, Eliaser came and took me to the center to go to a museum for one of my classes. The museum was so cool! It started with the history of the indigenous people of Chile and then went from there telling the history of the country. I got kind of bored in the middle but learning about the indigenous people and then the more recent political history was SO interesting! In the 70's there was a huge military take over, and in this museum they had the broken glasses of President Allende who was the president who was taken over by his General Pinochet. It was really cool.

Then we went across the Plaza de Armas to the Cathedral here in down town Santiago. It was so beautiful! I sat and listened to a bit of the mass that they were having and then we explored the inside. It was amazing. They had paintings on the ceiling that were very Sistine Chapel-ish and amazing stained glass windows. There were also sculptures of all of Christ's apostles. I'm not sure how they knew what they looked like, but somehow they were able to do it. :)

This is the main hallway. It was so much bigger than I thought it was going to be!


I had to stop by and take care of a few things...:) I couldn't go to a catholic chapel and NOT take a picture of the confessory, I wouldn't let myself go sit in it though.

Just to give you an idea of how big it is, this is the main part of the cathedral. So big!!

This is the outside of the cathedral. It is so beautiful!

After that I met up with Hermana Monje from the mission! It was so great to see her. We didn't stop talking the whole time. She is so awesome and wants to come to the U.S. to study, but I guess you need a host family or something. I want to help her, but we'll see how that works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment