Wednesday, February 25, 2009

WAKE UP!

Today´s new group was absolutely asleep all day. I even had them all stand up and jump on one foot as long as they could so that they would be awake, but to no avail. How do you wake students up? I have no clue. They are a good group though and this week is met with the challenge of teaching one of my friends that I actually knew in the mission which is kind of interesting for me. I am grateful that in real life I will never have to teach a friend of mine, maybe their kids, but never anyone that I have hung out with before. The group is a lot younger, and most are here for the Perpetual Education Fund, with the exception of one man who is a plumber and without work. He seems to have little education, so we had to focus a lot on him. Today while playing ´Jefe Jefe´they really got into it which was fun to see. I lost my Jefe seat because I am an idiot and said someone else´s name as my own. Yeah...Sad.

I finished the last book for one of my classes, so now I just have three papers to write for that class and it is over and I am done with it. I am just pluggin right along with school work which is quite shocking. After work today I stayed back and talked with my bosses about the economy and politics here in Chile for an assignement I have to do. It is really interesting the way that the senate has been set up here. It is quite corrupt and the constitution (which was radified under the dictator Pinochet in 1980) has made it absolutely hard to change things. There are also some senators who were appointed as ´Senator for life´under Pinochet that are STILL in power. That is crazy to me. Learning about their government made me grateful for ours. Even if I am not always happy with what is going on, at least we have a system of checks and balances that can right any wrong that is done. Pinochet had so much power and there was no way to stop him. I´M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN! ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment